29 June 2010

A bull in a bear market: Social media and the scientist “shortage”

ResearchBlogging.orgJoshua Ward thinks scientists have to embrace social media.

Okay. As a blogger, someone on Twitter, and so on, I guess I can’t disagree with that.

But almost didn’t get to that point, because I just about did a spit-take when I read:

In the face of basic scientist shortages in many of the leading fields(...)

Shortage? What shortage? I rarely read about institutions unable to find good people. I read a lot about institutions with bona fide research positions that are swamped by applications.

Creating many high quality job opportunities is what will convince students to enter a scientific career, not having a Facebook page.

Reference

Ward, J. (2010). Recruiting future talent in ecology and evolutionary biology Trends in Ecology & Evolution. DOI: 10.1016/j.tree.2010.06.002

No comments: